Wondering about the baby shower etiquette? What’s proper (and what’s not) when it comes to baby showers? Who should host? This simple guide will answer your questions!
Who should host the baby shower?
Not you! The point of a baby shower is that your family and friends ‘shower’ you with gifts. If you’re worried that no one will offer to throw the baby shower for you, talk to your best friend (or a close female relative) and ask her to be in charge!
Can I have more that one baby shower?
Yes! Your friends and family are as excited about the baby as you are – they’ll all want to throw a shower for you. And since it’s up to others to throw the baby shower – you can have as many of them as you like!
What’s expected of the mom-to-be?
Your only job is to be the guest of honor (and to send out thank you notes in a timely manner). But, you may want to help with the:
- Party favors: Giving the guests a few small and inexpensive trinkets is a nice thing to do. You can give some chocolates (or other tasty treats), nail polishes, even succulents! Don’t forget to include favor tags!
- Refreshments: Ask the hostess how can you help with food and drinks. Perhaps guests can bring the appetizers? Or you could pitch in when it comes to drinks?
Should I register for gifts?
Yes! Most of the guests will appreciate the guidance. Just don’t be greedy!
- Pick a store with reasonable prices: You don’t want to put your guests in the position of spending more than they’re comfortable with. If they want to spend more money, they’ll buy you more than one item.
- Request modest gifts: Register for bibs, onesies, blankets and baby-care essentials. Take care of the crib and other expensive baby gear yourself.
- Notify the guests: Be sure to include the registry info on the invitation!
What about a baby shower for baby #2 (and #3)?
Baby showers for the second-time (and third-time) moms are called sprinkles. If your friends want to throw you a shower for the baby #2, why not? Keep in mind that it’s very helpful to register for gifts – depending on when you had the first child, you may not need a load of supplies. Just a lot of diapers!
For baby shower invitations, games and other ideas, check out our SHOP!