So, you’ve been asked to be maid (or matron) of honor. First of all, congratulations! This is a big honor! It means that the bride-to-be considers you to be her best friend and someone she wants by her side on her big day!
Maid of honor duties include planning a bridal shower and the bachelorette party, helping the bride with wedding planning, giving a speech at the reception and much more. Don’t worry – we got you covered. Here’s a checklist of all maid of honor duties and responsibilities.
Before the wedding:
- Host or co-host the bridal shower and plan the bachelorette party.
- Lead the bridesmaids (help choose the bridesmaid dresses and accessories, coordinate hair and makeup, coordinate travel accommodations).
- Attend wedding dress shopping and fittings.
- Assist the bride with wedding planning and preparation (search for vendors, choose cake flavors, help address envelopes, write out place cards).
- Attend all pre-wedding events (engagement party, rehearsal dinner, wedding shower).
- Keep track of gifts received at pre-wedding showers and parties.
- Provide wedding guests with registry info.
- Listen, help and provide feedback for the bride.
On the wedding day:
Before the ceremony:
- Get dressed with the bride and other bridal party members.
- Prepare and bring an emergency kit for the bride.
- Serve as the messenger between the couple.
- Keep the bride calm.
- Guide guests, answer any questions about the wedding day, keep things on schedule.
- Have the contact information from all vendors’ nearby.
- Arrange the bride’s veil and train when she arrives to the altar.
- Hold the bride’s bouquet during the vow exchange.
- Hold the groom’s ring.
- Sign the marriage licence as a witness along with the best man.
- Enter the reception with the best man.
- Bustle the bride’s dress for the reception.
- Escort the bride to the ladies room (most importantly, assist her with her gown).
- Make sure the bride eats and drinks!
- Dance with the best man.
- Give a toast after the best man.
- Make sure all of the wedding gifts and cards are safely collected and transported to their final destination.
- Make sure the bride’s wedding dress is properly stored.
*Be sure to check Maid Of Honor and Matron Of Honor.